Across the entire country throughout the month of April, thousands of people make a special effort to celebrate the tremendous generosity of those who have saved lives by becoming organ, eye, tissue, marrow, and blood donors. We also take this time to encourage more Americans to follow their example and join the Donate Life Registry. Several activities are organized during this month to call attention to the need for organ and tissue donation, the impact donation has in saving lives of other individuals and the importance of people making their wishes known to their family in the event of an untimely death.
What Can You Do? Here are some specific ways you can help the cause!
Way #1 - Celebrate National Blue/Green Day on April 13
On this day, wear blue and green and hold events and fundraisers, and partner with local restaurants, malls, media, and community organizations in an effort to promote the success of organ, eye and tissue transplantation and the extreme need for registered donors.
The Blue & Green Day Photo Contest is a fun and easy way to show your support (and maybe win a prize!). Start planning your Blue & Green Day photo now! Click here to learn more.
Way #2 - Shout Out on Your Social Networks
Add the Donate Life Month Twibbon to your social media profile pic to show your support of organ, eye and tissue donation!
Use the DOnate Life NYS social media graphics (below) on your profile to show your support of organ, eye and tissue donation!
Include the hashtag #donatelifemonth to make your voice heard during this national celebration.
Way #3 - Make a Financial Contribution
Your donation makes a difference and helps Donate Life New York State meet its mission and make sure no one who needs a transplant goes without.
Donate through Facebook.
Donate through PayPal.
The Need for Organ and Tissue Donation in New York State
The need for donated organs and tissues continues to grow.
- Nearly 9,500 New Yorkers need life-saving organ transplants.
- More than 1,700 people in New York State have been on the waiting list for more than five years.
- About 450 New Yorkers die each year due to a shortage of donors.
- New York has the third highest need for donors in the US, yet the second lowest percentage of registered donors.
The benefit of organ and tissue donation
Transplantation is a remarkable success story. Nearly 30,000 people with organ failure benefit from transplants each year. Additionally, each year hundreds of thousands of people benefit from donated tissue that is used for life-saving and reconstructive purposes.
- One donor can save 8 lives through organ donation, and heal up to 75 more through eye and tissue donation.
- In 201 more than 2,300 New Yorkers receive life-saving organ transplants on an annual basis.
- At only one-year post transplant, more than half of liver recipients have returned to work.
- The benefit of transplantation goes beyond the individual. Improving employment status helps not only the individual, but the family and the community.
- After only two years, the cumulative cost of dialysis surpasses the cost of transplantation.
SOCIAL MEDIA RESOURCES
Add our Twibbon to your social media profile pic to show your support of organ, eye and tissue donation! https://twibbon.com/Support/national-donate-life-month-5