Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day is an initiative designed to promote education, awareness and access for women who may wish to consider post-mastectomy breast reconstruction. Many people are unaware that tissue donation is an important part of post-mastectomy breast reconstruction.
The fourth annual BRA Day will take place on October 19, 2016.
What does Organ, Eye and Tissue Donation have to do with Breast Cancer Reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction is achieved through several plastic surgery techniques that attempt to restore a breast to near normal shape, appearance and size following a mastectomy. There are three main procedure steps in breast reconstruction: creation of a new breast mound, touch-ups of the reconstruction and possible modification of the opposite breast in patients having a mastectomy of one side, and creation of a new nipple and areola.
To aide in breast reconstruction, plastic surgeons use donated tissue to act as a scaffolding in providing additional protective layers under the muscle for the implant in the patient. This sling is a biologic mesh made possible by the gift of donated tissue. Just one tissue donor can help up to ten post-mastectomy breast reconstruction patients.
Breast Reconstruction Information
Many women eligible for breast reconstruction following cancer surgery are not being informed of their options. All women should know their options. It's time to close the loop on breast cancer.
Studies have revealed:
- Eighty-nine percent of women want to see what breast reconstruction surgery results before undergoing cancer treatment.
- Less than a quarter (23 percent) of women know the wide range of breast reconstruction options available.
- Only 23 percent of women are familiar with the quality of outcomes that can be expected.
- Only 19 percent of women understand that the timing of their treatment for breast cancer and the timing of their decision to undergo reconstruction greatly impacts their options and results.
- Today is Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day! Most people are unaware that tissue donation is an important part of post-mastectomy breast reconstruction. In honor of Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day and breast cancer survivors, register as an organ donor today at http://bit.ly/1L6X2Te #BRADay #DonateLifeNYS
- All it takes is one tissue donor to help up to ten breast cancer patients in need of breast reconstruction. In honor of Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day and breast cancer survivors, register as an organ and tissue donor today at http://bit.ly/1L6X2Te #BRADay #DonateLifeNYS
- Did you know that 7 out of 10 women diagnosed with breast cancer are not informed of their breast reconstruction options? To learn more about breast reconstruction options visit http://www.breastreconusa.org #BRADay #DonateLifeNYS
- 7/10 women diagnosed with #breastcancer are not informed of their breast reconstruction options. #BRAday #DonateLife
- 1 tissue donor can help up to 10 #breastcancer patients in need of breast reconstruction. Register today: http://bit.ly/1L6X2Te #BRAday
- Only 23% of women know the wide range of breast reconstruction options available to them. Learn more: http://www.breastreconusa.org #BRAday
- Angelina Jolie's breast reconstruction surgeon says #breastcancer treatment requires a team approach #BRAday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Y0rOXR6Lg